Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Music...Makes the People...Come Together...(Yeah)!



In trying to keep up with my New Year’s resolution to see the inside of the gym more often, I’ve realized two things. 1) Even after being out of high school (and thus not twirling a flag with the marching band) for many years now, I still feel the need to be “in step” while on the treadmill or elliptical. For those of you that were way cooler than me back in the day, that means having your left foot hitting the ground on the down beat...and 2) I’m in dire need of some new music to help the workouts along.

You see, several years ago, my mother hit the big 5-0. And to celebrate, we had a big party complete with music from throughout the past 5 decades. It was so much fun to dig up everything from Rosemary Clooney to the Beatles to Isaac Hayes and the Bee Gees! There was stuff from the 80’s and 90’s too (natch), The songs had been stored on an old computer (which had long since been relegated to the “man cave” in the basement) and were never heard again until last year when my dear husband connected all of our computers on a home network.

After checking out some long lost files, I stumbled upon the music library. Being blinded by such artisits as artists such as Duran Duran, Madness and yes, even Right Said Fred I quickly connected my iPod without remembering the music from the 50’s 60’s and 70’s were in the same folder. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the Rolling Stones as much as the next person. But when you’ve got 30 minutes to go on the treadmill, Frank Sinatra doing “Fly Me to the Moon” is the last thing you want to hear!

It’s not all bad though…I did manage to get a couple good songs on there…A few faves:

Get a Move on – Mr. Scruff (you may recognize from a Lincoln Navigator commercial)
Ocean Beach – Black Mighty Orchestra
La Belle et La Bad Boy – MC Solaar (French Hip Hop…totally cool)


They will wear out quickly though, I fear. So now it’s time to play a little game I like to call “What’s on Your iPod”? What music inspires you? Not only to walk an extra mile, or throw an extra 10 pounds on the leg press…What do you listen to that helps you move through your day? What helps you endure rush hour or edit photos till 3 am? If you’d like to share…I’m all ears!

1 comment:

  1. I have tons o music, but I have to admit I have listened to very little of it on my ipod. What has me hooked of late is podcasts, especially Forgotten Classics, the Daily Breakfast, Catholic in a Small Town, Catholic Family, BrainReady BrainCasts, Rosary Army, and Secrets of the Lord of the Rings. (I'm going to start Secrets of Narnia and Secrets of Harry Potter just as soon as I'm done with that last one) :) And there are more, oh yes. :)

    My music selection - since that's what you asked about - is pretty far and wide, lots of classical and instrumental, some country. I still have to find some old CDs that were relegated to the loft a while back because I couldn't deal with all the stinkin' cases, so I'll be meeting up with some old favorites before long. Don't know that any of my stuff would be good for a workout, honestly. Hmm. Can I use that as my excuse for continuing to sit on my bum?

    ReplyDelete