Monday, January 28, 2008

A Daughter's Gift



Is it really nearing Groundhog Day already? Whew...where did January go? I can't say I mind seeing the longest Winter month go by quickly after all, once we get through the 28 days of February (okay, 29 this year) it's just another 21 till Spring, right?

Given the speed at which time now flies (I do think "warp speed" is the technical term for it), I can see how I missed my window to post these images. The back story is worth the wait though so here goes...

I got my first Christmas gift from my daughter this year. She thoughtfully picked out and gift wrapped (with help, I'm told) a beautiful, round, stunning, green...grapefruit from my father's tree in Florida. Apparently, my aunt was with her when she picked the fruit and she described in great detail the joy with which Emma wrapped her gift and bragged "Mommy's going to be so excited", and "It's a surprise"!

Of course, I loved the gift! But how do you make the memory of a child's first gift to a parent (besides the gift of just being) last? How, oh how do you make a grapefruit last forever??? Make the seeds into a necklace? No. Allow the fruit to petrify and keep it as sculpture? Nah. Bronze it like baby shoes? Nope.

When mom's a photographer, she takes pictures...
I call the first one "Grapefruit". (Clever, no?) The picture on top was from the center of the grapefruit then using a Photoshop action to acheive the perfect "sections" inside...Just for fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment