Friday, May 2, 2008

A Moment In Time

Driving home from a beautiful wedding last weekend, I called my Dad. Any time I have a long drive ahead of me it's just something I like to do since he lives in Florida now. It gives us a good 40 minute conversation and keeps me company on the road. During the course of this last conversation, he mentioned to me that he had recently scanned some old family photos onto a disk and had a "showing" with the rest of the family that lives down there in the sand and surf.

There were photos dating back to the early 1900's there and possibly some even earlier. I remember seeing the originals some time ago, and think I remember seeing some tin-types...so we'll just say some of the photos were OLD! When I've looked at those old family photos before, I've found myself talking to an aunt or grandparent saying, "...and who is this?", and it struck me on that drive home last weekend that someday, some great-great grandchild of mine may be asking the same question when they see photos of my husband, me, my parents... Sometimes I'll find one of a relative and think, "so that's where I get my eyes (or nose, or ears)".

Photographs are such amazing things. They freeze time for us. Portraits commemorate the most important moments in our lives and then we sprinkle in some snapshots just for fun (birthday parties, vacations, etc.). This is why it's always an honor when someone chooses me to photograph them. Whether it's for their last year of high school, their wedding or their family and children the photographs are what will outlast them and let another generation see. And maybe some great granddaughter of a bride I shot last week will see just where she gets her eyes...

1 comment:

  1. How I enjoy those conversations. As you drive home from your moments of capturing "life", you are so happy. The joy I hear in your heart becomes visible when I see your photos. Yes, you have a great capacity of capturing those precious moments of happiness & joy. What an honor you have in your vocation. I again am proud of you and your growing body of work.

    ReplyDelete