Tuesday, February 5, 2008

City Girl, Country Girl (Or: I'm a Little Bit Country...I'm a Little Bit Rock and Roll)


Big cities have always mystified me. The first time I visited Chicago, I was in love with its' rythm, the lights, the eateries, the music...the sheer energy that existed on the streets! Ditto for Miami (only with the added bonus of a the nearby beaches)! But I've always had a fondness for the the quiet and the peace of the the country too (I blame it on growing up with Little House on the Prairie). This weekend I had a chance to go out and shoot both!

We started out at North Bank Park downtown, then as we were making our way to the statehouse I thought we could stop and grab a few shots of the Dispatch building. It’s such a Columbus landmark, and I guess it has a little sentimental value too seeing as my Grandfather worked there first as a journalist and later in the typesetting department years ago. I couldn’t help but imagine how that corner has changed since his years there…what kinds of cars were parked on the corner, what news was making headlines for him to write about?



The next day, we headed out to our friend’s place in the country! They live on a farm with loads of sheep that the kids just adore…and to make it even more interesting, some of those sheep had little lambs! If you’re interested, you can read more about the lamb experience here. http://snoringscholar.blogspot.com/2008/01/surprise-in-barn.html



The dog, Louie had to watch over everything, of course…





Twenty bucks goes to the first person who can correctly identify exactly what this is…



Well, not you Sarah. Or you Susan…Or Isaac…Okay never mind. It’s the front end of a tractor. Can’t say what year, but I know for certain it’s a John Deere, best there is (or so I've been told)!

Before we went inside to watch the big game (and trade blogging tips) I had to get this one of the barn. This little red barn haunts me every time I visit, begging me to capture another little facet of it’s being. I can’t quite explain it, but some people try to capture the perfect sunset…For me, someday I’ll capture the perfect shot of this barn…


2 comments:

  1. I SO figured out the picture starting with the shade of green that only John Deere can pull off! And I LOVE the picture of the barn...I miss the "real life" you've captured in the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I LOVE this collection of photos!!! The one of the Dispatch building gave me chills - it looks absolutely classic.

    {}

    ReplyDelete