Friday, February 15, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different...



So this is entirely off the subject of Photography, but it looked like fun so here goes! My friend Sarah tagged me as a part of a book meme the other day. Since I'm still in my blogging infancy (maybe toddlerhood, now) I had no idea what to do with it! All I knew was that I was supposed to pick a book (with more than 123 pages), turn to page 123, find the fifth sentence and write (or type) the next three sentences.


She enlightened me on what I needed to do with the actual post. Sadly enough, when she tagged me I wasn't reading anything at the moment (let alone anything with over 123 pages, I have two young children...remember?). But I picked up a loaned book I had been meaning to start, turned to page 123 and followed the rest of the directions.


That same evening I picked up the book in earnest and began to read it. What has intimidated me just because of it's sheer size and what I beleived would be a difficult to follow writing style became something completely different. And I was surprised to find that some of the early subject matter dealt with was some things I'm experiencing in my personal life so that made the book even harder for me to put down.


The truth of it is that I don't know too many other bloggers (one of the 2-3 that I limit myself to reading regularly is the one that started this meme), so there's really no one else for me to "tag" here, but this exercise was truly a blessing for me just because now I get to devour another piece of classic literature! Thanks Sarah!


From page 123 of Les Miserable by Victor Hugo:


"But as his youth died out, his gaiety increased; he replaced his teeth with jests, his hair with joy, his health with irony, and his weeping eye was always laughing. He was dilapidated, but bedecked with flowers. His youth, exiting long before its time, was retreating in good form, bursting with laughter but showing no loss of fire."


I have no idea who that passage is refering to yet (I'm only on page 35), but I look forward to meeting him!

Another weekend is upon us, and there will be more to shoot next week! By then I should also have those links on my as-of-now empty sidebar that I posted about on Monday!





1 comment:

  1. Oh what fun! It's called a classic for a reason...I remember about five or so years ago when I read it, being riveted by it...and that said, I can't remember a thing. Maybe I will have to pick it back up. (After my Lenten reading is done, of course, which will be ... a ... while ...)

    ReplyDelete