Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Santa Claus is Coming to Town...


For years I swore that I would never feed my children a line about Santa Claus. "After All", I told my family and friends, "Why start your children off with a lie that they'll never forgive you for"? Then I actually had children. I saw the mysterious mixture of joy, excitement and magic that sprang into their eyes when someone mentioned the jolly old elf.

"Well", I thought to myself, "It'll be fine if I just don't actually say 'Yes, there's a Santa'. If some one else brings it up, fine...but I'll never confirm or deny because well...it's cute. I'll just stick to referring to St. Nick in the historical sense and that's that." So would someone please tell me why on earth I find myself stashing gifts in closets, telling the kids they had better shape up because you-know-who will be here soon and even helping them sprinkle reindeer food on the lawn (so Rudolph can find our house, of course)?

When did this happen? How did it happen? And when the day comes...how will it end? The truth is I want my kids to be able to give thanks appropriately for the gifts they receive. But I selfishly want to see those little faces light up when we read "The Night Before Christmas" imagining themselves sound asleep while reindeer hooves shuffle about on the roof. So I'll keep it going as long as I can because the grown up world will come around soon enough for them. If this is one other way they can hold on to childhood a little longer (and by default, I get to hold on too), then so be it. Now, if someone could help me out with the zip code for the North Pole...

1 comment:

  1. Haha Heather, I said the exact same thing. But you're right, once you see the wonder in their little eyes, it's over....next thing you know, I'm peddling Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and any other imaginary creature I can think of. There's nothing wrong with a little imagination...especially when the real world can sometimes be so harsh. I say let them believe in a little magic....we have enough cynics in the world already.

    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete