Saturday, November 1, 2008

Get in Line.




I waited in line many times in my life. When I was in Kindergarten, I stood in line to go to the gym. In Basic Training I stood in line with both sleeves rolled up to get 10 inoculations at once. This past summer I stood in line with my husband and children in 90 degree heat to ride the many rides at Disney World. No line is more important to stand in though, than the election line which I stood in for three hours yesterday.

We all have the tremendous responsibility to make our voices heard and get in that line, regardless of how long we must wait. The long lines are a testament, I believe to the faith we all still have in our democracy. So make your voice heard these next 72 hours and brave the cold, the tedium and maybe make a new friend in line. Bring your iPod, a book, a folding chair and some snacks and soak up the camaraderie that is often formed when people come together for a common cause. Unless, of course you mailed your ballot in last month...

No comments:

Post a Comment