Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!


Of all the Dr. Seuss books out there, my favorite (and my children’s favorite) is The Lorax. Who can forget the story of the Old Once-ler who lives above his dilapidated old factory where he once made thneeds (which everyone, everyone, everyone needs)? I love to read this story to Eddie and Emma and they love it when I get into character and read as if I were the Lorax! We’ve been reading this book together for years, but on this day, Earth Day, I want to make special mention of it.

Whether you believe or don’t believe in global warming, no one can deny the existence and effects of deforestation, pollution and dare I say it…mass consumerism?? All too heavy for a children’s book, you say?

As a child I remember learning about the concept of environmentalism in school. I ran home to my parents and told them all I had learned and emphatically told them that at the very least we needed to start recycling. In my recollection, they acted as if they had never heard of such a thing. They thought it was a good idea, but impractical. Eventually they bought a can crusher and we started recycling aluminum cans. To me though, it just wasn’t enough. Now that I am a parent (and a recycling one at that), I expect that one day my own children will tell me that I’m not doing enough. The idea here is that each generation seems to be demanding more. More accountability, more responsibility in the ways in which we use the earth’s resources. And maybe that’s due in some small part to Dr. Seuss’ larger-than-life characters.

I see grocery store clerks roll their eyes when I hand them my canvas bags after they’ve asked , “paper or plastic?”, and I’ve seen neighbors laugh out loud when I’ve tried to mow my lawn with an old-fashioned reel mower (“try” being the operative word…and just for the record, it’s a fantastic ab workout). But when it comes to preserving our natural resources for the next generation, I’m willing to do whatever I can to help…whether I get laughed at or not.

..."So...Catch!" calls the Once-ler.
He lets something fall.
"It's a Truffula Seed.
It's the last one of all!
You're in charge of the last of the Truffula Seeds.
And Truffula Trees are what everyone needs.
Plant a new Truffula. Treat it with care.
Give it clean water. And feed it fresh air.
Grow a forest. Protect it from axes that hack.
Then the Lorax and all of his friends
may come back."
...The Lorax, Dr. Seuss. copyright 1971

No comments:

Post a Comment