Monday, January 12, 2009

Christmas Day...a shoot with Dad!

If you've read my bio page on my website, then you know that had it not been for my Dad, I never would have developed (a little photography humor) a love for photography. Christmas morning 1987, after all the presents had been unwrapped ( I had already gotten an awesome denim purse and a poster of the band Poison, what more could a girl ask for?), one present remained under the tree. There was no tag on it, but my dad said, "Why don't you open it, Heather?". So I did. When I picked it up, it rattled...a lot, but as I opened the box, I realized the sound came from a small Folgers can with a couple nails in it...just to throw me off! Once I saw the grey bag with the black strap, I knew what was inside. After all, I had seen my dad with that same bag slung over his shoulder during our trips to Disney World, Kennywood Park and Storybook Forest! He had given me my first camera (well, aside from that Kodak Disc camera, of course).

That Christmas morning, we both loaded up our gear and headed out to Scioto Park in Dublin to shoot and get to know our new cameras (he with his brand new Nikon and I with my "gently used" Minolta). It was an amazing day, and if I knew where they were, I'd post those photos in a heartbeat!

Dad lives in Florida now, but he was here for Christmas. So this Christmas morning, we reprised the scene from 1987, only this time to shoot in Grove City. It's funny, it's the place where he grew up and the place where my husband and I chose to raise our family. so it's got a lot of meaning..a little emotional pull for both of us!

Check these out...



I think this was one of Dad's outside an old barn just near downtown Grove City. It was so much fun to hear him talk about the things he remembered about growing up here. Things like where he opened his first bank account and where he used to ride his bike...


The man, the myth, the legend...



Dad took this one of my shadow outside the old Farmer's Exchange...

He took this one too, looking up some kind of grain chute...


I took this one of the exterior and it's weathered roof.



A Grove City Landmark...


The mural at Park and Broadway...



A different view of Planks...


Another one of Dad's...

I'm not sure if this is a church or a schoolhouse, but it's apparent that someone is taking measures to restore it somewhat. The bell tower was boarded over last time I was here...


Anyone who's a GC native knows where these are...


Hooray for timer mode!





Dad, thanks so much for wonderful Christmas! Hope you're enjoying warmer weather now! We miss you!

2 comments:

  1. Tears of joy do not run as easily down my cheeks. They are filled with the creases that time brings. I am indeed a lucky man. I thank you most for being "My little girl" and for all the joys that that has evoked through the years. Some of those were "looking at life" through filters. I count those "shooting sprees" as VERY SPECIAL Father & Daughter time. Your excitement and happiness in your photography is very obvious. More importantly, look at the friendships that you "developed" and the great honor you are given when a couple ask you to capture with your creative mind & eye this special day of memories that otherwise would be lost in the blur that is all wedding days. Ah, to see how happy you are capturing "that special glance" makes your Daddy proud. As you know, I am always ready to second shoot for my Heather. Love Ya, DaDO

    ReplyDelete