Friday, July 18, 2008

Way to go 'Men'!!!

I'm not a huge t.v. watcher, and for some reason the shows that I do happen to get attached to often end up off the air in record time. I think back to Rags to Riches, a show set in the 1960's about a group of orphaned girls who are adopted by a frozen food magnate in true Daddy Warbucks style. It probably went off the air because it was the first-ever musical t.v. show. Looking back on it now, I agree...the concept was pretty corny. But back then, it was kinda fun to learn some classics like Rockin' Robin, Yakity Yak and the like.

So this past winter, while my one show was hit by the writers strike, I had a chance to check out AMC's Mad Men. Like Rags to Riches, it's set in the 1960's and it chronicles the lives of the men (and women) who work at a Madison Avenue advertising agency. Unlike R2R, it's not a musical (mercifully). It's a great show, and it really lays things out about the good ol' days of the 60's in an entirely new way. While the feminist in me wants to scream and yell about the blatant disrespect toward women in the workplace they depict, I also have to laugh at things like the scotch-swilling bosses at lunch time and ashtrays in every scene (did everyone smoke back then?).

I was worried that there may not be an audience for Mad Men and that it would be gone in a matter of months. However, yesterday I was proven wrong when the show picked up their first Emmy Nod! It's a show worth checking out; so if you find yourself not wanting to watch another rerun this summer, season 2 premieres on July 27 at 10pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment