Monday, March 17, 2008

What a Treat!

Again, I divert completely from the topic of photography...but I do so in an effort to raise the public's awareness of an awesome new treat available to those of us in the greater Columbus area, Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams.

There's so little on t.v. these days, that our set is often tuned to the Food Network. Last week, the show Unwrapped with Marc Summers (anyone my age will remember him from the Nickelodeon show "Double Dare") did a feature on a small-batch ice cream parlor that specialized in combining sweet and savory ice cream flavors. The program showed the owner making her ice cream step by step (even making homemade marshmallows for her version of Rocky Road) and putting it into pints where she hand wrote all the flavors right onto the package. Sounded great, then my buddy Marc says she's located in Columbus, Ohio!

So this past Friday I headed out to see if I could find Jeni's. I had a hunch from what they showed on t.v. that she might be at the North Market so I went there first and much to my surprise that's just where she was! A pint of the signature "Roxbury Road" and one of the famed "Salty Caramel" and we were on our way! Now I'm making it my mission to make sure everyone in Columbus has a chance to check it out!

It's high-quality stuff, and what's even cooler is the fact that Jeni uses ingredients from local sources (honey from Ashland county, coffee from Stauff's and smoked almonds from the Krema Nut Co.). The flavors offered change regularly, so go often and you'll be hooked too!

No comments:

Post a Comment